Skip To Content

While the creeks in San Ramon are very effective at moving water under normal storm conditions. However,A Creek in San Ramon. during torrential rains it is possible that they will reach their capacity and flooding may occur, particularly if any of these waterways become obstructed. To minimize the risk of flooding, the City of San Ramon inspects its public facilities (storm drains, ditches, retention ponds, and creeks) and removes debris each fall. Areas most susceptible to flooding are San Ramon Creek, San Catanio Creek, and South San Ramon Creek.

The City of San Ramon participates in the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Community Rating System (CRS) Program to assist property owners with emergency management. The CRS Program is a voluntary initiative that rewards and promotes community floodplain management efforts that go beyond the basic requirements of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). By participating in this the CRS program, private property owners can receive a discount on their flood insurance premiums for their property.

As part of this Program, each year, Engineering staff sends notices to flood zone property owners located withinFlood Zone Map areas designated as Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). These areas are designated by FEMA through a Flood Insurance Study (FIS) and mapped on a Flood Rate Insurance Map (FIRM). Lenders may require residents to carry flood insurance if their building is in a SFHA. Residents in or near a SFHA who are not required to do so should also consider obtaining flood insurance and will benefit from a similar discount. FEMA studies show that properties in a high-risk flood zone area are five times (5x) more likely to be damaged by flooding than fire. In 2003, FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) awarded insured residents over $601 million in flood claims. Roughly 25% of all claims paid by the NFIP to insured residents are for policies in low-to-moderate-risk communities. As a result, the City strongly urges all property owners in high-, medium-, and low-risk flood zone areas to obtain flood insurance to protect their private property. Without flood insurance, you will not be eligible to participate in this national insurance program and, property owners may be financially responsible for any losses incurred due to a flood.

To determine if your property is in a flood zone, click here and enter your property’s address or call the City’s Engineering Services Department at (925) 973-2670. Please visit on the Internet for information on FEMA and the National Flood Insurance Program. This website offers valuable information on the NFIP and how it can help you as a homeowner prevent loss due to flood damage.

In addition to obtaining flood insurance for their private property, property owners can prevent and minimize damage by flood-proofing their property. Flood-proofing information and copies of the FIS and FIRMs for San Ramon are available through the local library and by request at the City’s Engineering Services office at 2401 Crow Canyon Road in San Ramon.

Picture of weather forecast.

During a flood event or other hazard, you should turn to your local radio or television stations for information. If an evacuation is required, Police will attempt to notify area residents via loudspeaker. For suggestions on where to obtain supplies such as sandbags, contact the Public Services Division at (925) 973-2800. Staff may also be able to provide assistance or give other valuable information.


The Contra Costa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District offers additional flood-related resources. Click on the following for more info:

To learn about FEMA’s or the National Flood Insurance Program, please visit or


Learn about flood hazards and click to expand the links below:

What you need to KNOW…


The creeks in San Ramon are very effective at moving water under normal storm conditions. However, during torrential rains, it is possible that they will reach their capacity, and flooding may occur, particularly if any of these waterways become obstructed. Being prepared is your best defense against such events.

  • KNOW that the natural and beneficial functions of floodplains help reduce flooding.

  • Floodplains are a natural component of the City’s environment. Understanding and protecting the natural functions of floodplains helps reduce flood damage and protect resources. When flooding spreads across the floodplain, its energy is dissipated, resulting in lower flood flows downstream, reduced erosion of the stream bank and channel, deposition of sediments higher in the watershed, and improved groundwater recharge. Floodplains are scenic, valued wildlife habitat and suitable for farming.
  • KNOW if your property is situated in a flood-prone area. 

     A property in a flood zone does not necessarily have consistent flooding problems.Flood zone ahead sign. Your property may be in a flood zone designated by FEMA, even if you don't experience flooding. To determine if your property is in a flood zone:
  • Call the City’s Engineering Services Div. at (925) 973-2670 for a free flood zone determination.
  • FEMA maps are also available in the San Ramon public libraries. 

Suppose your property is located in an “A” Zone. In that case, it is considered within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), which is an area that has been determined to have the potential for flooding caused by a 100-year storm.

  • KNOW that even if we are in a drought, flooding can happen.

Flooding can occur after several days of heavy rain that saturates the ground.Car in flooded street. The Contra Costa County, Public Works Department, has information that can help forecast when flooding may occur.

For more information visit Contra Costa's Flood Forecast website.

What to do BEFORE a flood…
  • Purchase flood insurance on your property. 

    Standard homeowner's insurance does not cover flood damages. A separate policy is needed for coverage of damages incurred by flooding. Coverage is available for the building itself as well as for the contents of the building (a good option for renters). The City of San Ramon participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which makes federally backed flood insurance available for all structures, whether or not they are located within the floodplain. The City also participates in the Community Rating System (CRS). Participation in this program currently provides up to a 20% discount on flood insurance policies. It's important to note that 25% of NFIP claims are filed by properties outside the 100-year floodplain (SFHA). Contact your insurance agency for more information. Flood insurance information is also available at public libraries.
  • Maintain drainage channels and pipes free of obstruction and debris.

    The City of San Ramon cleans and maintains its drainage system in easements and right-of-way based on a set schedule and standard procedures. Residents are encouraged toNo illegal dumping. helpmaintain the drainage in their areas by removing or reporting any obstructions such as debris, trash, leaves, and shopping carts. An obstruction-free drainage system can help reduce flooding during heavy rains. By ordinance, it is illegal to dump any kind of material, such as trash, leaves, landscape debris, paint, grease, etc., into the City's drainage system is illegal. Dumping any material into the City's drainage system can cause severe impacts on water quality and lead to flooding. To report illegal dumping, call 1-800-NO-DUMPING, or for questions regarding drainage maintenance, please contact the Public Services Division at (925) 973-2800.

  • Protect your property from flood hazards.

    To minimize flooding, various methods can be used. 
  • Elevate the structure if possible. If the floor level of your property is lower than the “Base Flood Elevation” (elevation of the 100-year flood, based on the FEMA maps), consider elevating the structure if possible.Sandbag Station
  • Sandbag areas are prone to water entry. If a flood is imminent, the property can be protected by sandbagging areas subject to water entry into living spaces. To get sandbag supplies, contact the Public Services Division at (925) 973-2800.
  •  Move valuables and furniture to higher areas to minimize damages.

Information brochures are available at San Ramon Public Libraries, and site-specific information can be obtained from the Engineering Services Division at (925) 973-2670. City staff can provide advice on flooding and drainage issues occurring on private property.

  • Prepare an emergency plan and supply kit.A table with an emergency kit.

    To prepare for emergencies, it is important to designate a family meeting spot and store essential items such as water, non-perishable food, batteries, flashlights, a manual can opener, and a battery-powered radio. Residents are also advised to store important documents and valuables in a waterproof safe.

  • Contact the City’s Emergency Preparedness Program Manager.

    Questions regarding emergency may be addressed to the City’s Emergency Preparedness Program Manager at (925) 973-2773.

What to do DURING a flood…
  • Avoid walking in moving water.

    Man walking in flooded street.Six inches of moving water can make you fall. Avoid unstable banks and low-lying areas. Seek shelter in the highest areas possible.
  • Avoid driving in flooded roadways.

    Do not attempt to drive or wade through deep water. Two feet of rushing water can cause many vehicles to float and be carried away.
  • Know how to shut off your utilities.

If your property is in imminent danger of flooding, please contact PG&E at 1-800-743-5002 (emergency phone number) to request that your power and natural gas be shut off. This number may also be used regarding any other electrical or natural gas emergencies. For guidance on how to do it yourself in a non-emergency situation, please contact PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.

  • Listen for emergency instructions.

    Tune in to your local radio station (AM 1610) for information and any correspondingFamily listening to emergency instructions. emergency instructions. The San Ramon Emergency Preparedness Program Manager will order or advise evacuations if conditions warrant this action. If evacuations are called for, it is imperative that you follow instructions in the time frame noted

What to do AFTER a flood…
  • Licensed Contract with client.

    Select contractors who are licensed in the state of California for their trade.

The City requires contractors to have a current City of San Ramon Business License for their specific trade. For example, only licensed electricians can do electrical work, only licensed plumbers can do plumbing work, etc. Verify that contractors are licensed before signing or agreeing to any repair contracts. It is also recommended that you verify certification of liability and workman’s compensation insurance.

  • Require your contractors to obtain the proper permits for work being performed.

    Permits are required for permanent improvements (i.e. alterations, roofing, additions, siding, etc.) to a structure and for site work such as grading, filling, etc. Permits are required even if a resident is doing the work himself.

  • Ensure the project meets National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)NFIP Logo requirements.

    If the cost of new building improvements is >=50% of the building’s market value the NFIP requires that the new construction meets the same flood prevention requirements as a new building. Substantially damaged buildings must also meet this standard

  • Contact the City for any questions.

    Building and Safety Division - (925) 973-2580
    Engineering Services Division - (925) 973-2670