Home City Council Departments Services Calendar Contact Us Search
San Ramon Memorial Park
Public Services Department


San Ramon Logo Home Occupation Permit



If you wish to conduct a business from your home within the City of San Ramon, you must file for a Home Occupation Permit and City Business License. In order to be eligible for a Home Occupation Permit, you must be able to comply with the following:

  1. No clients will visit the residence
  2. The use is incidental to the residential use of the dwelling.
  3. The use is conducted within a portion of the main building, not within any required parking facility and does not exceed twenty percent (20%) of the building's square footage. No outside storage shall be permitted.
  4. No article shall be sold or offered for sale on the premise.
  5. No person other than the resident of the dwelling shall be employed on- site or report to work at the site in the conduct of the home occupation. This prohibition also applies to independent contractors.
  6. The use will not generate vehicular or pedestrian traffic in excess of that which is normally associated with the residential use in the same district.
  7. No parking space shall be obstructed and no additional parking space will be required for the home occupation
  8. There is no exterior indication of the home occupation, including signs.
  9. No motor vehicle repair or personal services shall be permitted on-site.
  10. The address of the home occupation will not be advertised in any publication. Business cards and letterhead are not included in this requirement

PLEASE NOTE: If your home business does not comply with or meet the requirements listed above, you will need to contact the Planning Services Division and speak with a Planner to determine whether a Minor Land Use Permit is necessary. For more information visit out FAQs webpage.


Examples of typical businesses which would be allowed by Home Occupation Permits might include typing or drafting services, and consulting businesses, provided all work is picked up and delivered to the client by you; landscape maintenance, janitorial services, and contractor businesses, where the business is conducted elsewhere and all equipment is either stored off-site and/or in a vehicle which is to be stored in the garage at the residence. Businesses such as jewelry making are allowed if the jewelry is sold off-site (i.e. flea market, retail store, etc.). Home boutiques are not allowed. Home Occupations also include those businesses in which only a telephone and mail services are used. Additionally, all business licenses must be issued to physical addresses only; a P.O. Box may be used, however, it may not be use as a substitution for a physical business address in order to bypass the Home Occupation Permit process.


For more information, click on the following related links:



We provide efficient delivery of quality public services that are essential to those who live and work in San Ramon.
2401 Crow Canyon Rd, San Ramon, CA 94583 | Map | Phone (925) 973-2560 | Fax (925) 838-3231